2014 CycleFitCHICKS MTB Group (CFCMBG)
The CycleFit CHICKS (CFC) Mountain Bike CHICKS group is entering our third year and we’re adding some exciting extra skills clinics for the groups.
REGISTER HERE for the Club Membership.
2014 CFC MTB Schedule for the summer schedule
The 2014 membership for the CFCMBG includes:
- 1 Mandatory Start of Season Clinic
- 4 Skills Clinics: Thursday night
- 3 Guided Rides: Out of region trip
- 3 Mountain Bike Events:
- 17 Group Rides, on the following locations: Tuesday nights
- Camp Fortune (11 rides)
- Kanata Lakes (6 rides)
Mandatory Start of Season Clinic
Each member of the CFCMBG will be required to attend one of the two Mandatory Start of Season Clinics.
Instructor: Matt Krull from RatedmBiking
The Mandatory Start of Season Clinics will be conducted on:
Saturday May 17 and Sunday May 18, 2014
9 AM to 1 PM
Location is Camp Fortune.
Ladies who have already taken a Beginners or Advanced MTB Clinics previously can either receive a waiver for this mandatory clinic or participate in one of the Advanced Clinics in the weekend of May 24 and May 25. Times to be announced, location Camp Fortune.
Advanced Skills Clinics
The skills clinics are run on Thursday nights and cover topics such as
- Steep roll and Jumps
- Cornering and Burns
- Technical Climbing
The skills clinics will run from 6:30 to 8:30 PM. The location is Camp Fortune.
Matt Krull from RatedmBiking will be the instructor for the skills clinics.
This season Matt Krull will organize 3 guided rides, to the following locations.
Pre registration will be required.
- Mont Ste Marie
- Kanata Lakes, Outback Trail
- Downhill, Bromont
Guided rides will take place on Saturday, as these locations and routes require more time than is available on weeknights.
The CFCMBG will attend the following events in 2014-This is not an event you are required to attend. The CFCMBG have shown an interest in participating in these three MTB events. These are fun events for all levels on Mountain bikers:
- 24 Hours of Summer Solstice
- XC Marathon – J&J Kingston Trophy
- Paul’s Dirty Enduro, Ganaraska Forest
Tuesday Night Group Rides
The CFCMBG will organize weekly group rides. All group rides will have a leader, who is one of the CFC Mountain Bike CHICKS.
The weekly group rides start following the Mandatory Start of Season Clinic and will run until September 9, 2014.
All weekly rides are on Tuesday (with the exception of Wednesday July 2, 2014 (moved because of Canada Day)).
The location for the weekly rides varies. The first 6 weeks the group rides will only take place at Camp Fortune. From July to September the location will alternate between Camp Fortune and Kanata Lakes.
The reason for having the first 6 weeks at Camp Fortune only is mainly based on the amount of mosquitos at Kanata Lakes in May/June.
A posting will be placed on our CycleFit CHICKS Facebook group page, if an activity cannot take place because of rain and/or thundershowers.
- Please check the CycleFitCHICKS facebook ahead of time, IF there is a chance of rain. Any cancellations will be posted there
- Advanced clinics and Guided rides will be rescheduled in case of rain
For some activities there are additional costs, which are not covered by the CycleFit CHICKS.
- Camp Fortune
- A day pass or Cross Country season pass is mandatory for mountain biking at Camp Fortune. Since there are 16 scheduled activities at Camp Fortune we recommend you buy a season pass online here:
- Proved your CFC membership card and receive $10 off the Camp Fortune Season Pass
We encourage you to buy a season pass for Camp Fortune as this is a very unique location that we have access to ride to!
- Kanata Lakes: No costs
- Mont Ste Marie:
- No costs
- Downhill at Bromont, Quebec
- Estimated cost for the downhill day at Bromont will be 200 dollars, covering bike and equipment rental as well as a downhill day pass.
- Costs for the 3 events listed are not included in your membership
Testimonial from one of our members – Mary Ann Oberthier
What she had to say about her experience in this years MTB CHICKS group.
The Cycle Fit Chicks club expanded to include mountain biking this year and the inaugural season of the “Mountain Bike Chicks” has been a resounding success. Led by Matt Krull from Rated M Biking, the group meets on Wednesday evenings, alternating between two great mountain biking venues in the National Capital Region – Camp Fortune, and South March Highlands (SMH).
The small group of riders (2-6 girls made it out each week) benefited from Matt’s coaching and expertise to improve their technical skills. Matt gave us tips on body position, cornering and riding switchbacks, climbing and descending, and each rider saw great improvements. We even ripped up the pump track at Camp Fortune.
A couple of the ride highlights included an epic ascent of Brian’s trail at Camp Fortune (pictured) and a ride out to Bonk Point at SMH (also pictured). The group still rides until September 12, so come on out if you haven’t yet!